Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I doubt there is a full hour between 2:00 and 3:00 am. Tonight I thought about going to bed at 2:00 am at about 1:59. I then glanced at the clock, 2:40 am.

I am collecting kudos on Flickr for my photos. Sometimes I feel like one of those suckers born every minute. I am constantly reminded that promises made by content stables on the net are only as good until the owner decides to sell and that copyrighted photos are only so to the extent that someone with more money and lawyers can keep at you till you are DOA if they really want the images (its one of the many things discussed often among artists). It appears that Flickr had deleted a post by a photographer complaining her work was stolen, the photo, and subsiquent outpouring of support from the Flickr communities. Many in the Flickr community where I first saw the link, explain to the outraged poster that Flickr is a business, and can't afford to be sued over the accusations in the post and comments. These are people with images on Flickr explaining this, rather mater-of-factly, without any cynicism. I'm going to assume that the removed post means Flickr does not want to get into the whole copyright thing too much. I understand its a business, I mean in the way a place that houses a ton of coppyrighted material would take notice and act like the subject is right up their alley. Who knows, maybe they are gearing up to see if they have a case against the allegedly offending web site. *smirk*

No comments: